Prof. Abraham C.-L. Chian (INPE)Date:
AniaraOrder and chaos in the plasma universe
Professor Abraham C.-L. Chian
National Institute for Space Research (INPE), Brazil
The plasma universe is an electrodynamically complex system dominated by nonlinear phenomena such as Alfvén and Langmuir intermittent turbulence. Alfvén waves/turbulence - related to fluctuations in the ambient magnetic field - play an important role in the dynamics of solar-terrestrial environment, in the evolution of star forming regions, and in the formation of large-scale structures in the early universe. Radio emissions emitted by Langmuir turbulence - related to fluctuations of electron and ion densities - provide a remote electromagnetic tracer of nonthermal plasma processes (e.g., magnetic reconnection) occurring in the ionosphere, magnetosphere, solar wind, and solar active regions. The dynamical systems approach is capable of elucidating the onset mechanism of turbulence as well as the chaotic nature of the plasma universe.
1. Chian ACL et al. On the chaotic nature of solar-terrestrial environment: interplanetary Alfvén intermittency. JGR 111: A07S03, 10.1029, 2006.
2. Chian ACL et al. Chaos in driven Alfvén systems: unstable periodic orbits and chaotic saddles. Nonlinear Proc. Geophys. 14, 17, 2007.
3. Kamide Y, Chian ACL. Handbook of Solar-Terrestrial Environment. Springer, Heidelberg, 2007.
4. Koga D et al. Intermittent nature of solar wind turbulence near the Earth's bow shock: phase coherence and gaussianity. PRE 75, 046401, 2007.
5. Rempel EL, Chian ACL. Origin of transient and intermittent dynamics in spatiotemporal chaotic systems. PRL 98, 014101, 2007.
6. Rempel EL et al. Chaotic saddles at the onset of intermittent spatiotemporal chaos. PRE 76, 056217, 2007.
7. Voitenko Y et al. Nonlinear excitation of kinetic Alfvén waves and whistler waves by electron beam-driven Langmuir waves in the solar corona. A&A 409, 331, 2003.
Presentation [4.3 MB PDF]
Created 2008-02-13 08:51:42 by Mats HolmströmLast changed 2008-05-08 20:24:03 by Mats Holmström